This cake is pitch dark, damp, bounteous and unbelievably rich. Seriously, it’s the greatest cake you’ll ever eat. To achieve the most exhilarating and tempting chocolate cake all you need is to blend Green Mountain Coffee’s Vermont Country Blend incredibly well with cocoa.
Buttermilk performs two core functions in the finest recipe for chocolate cake. Buttermilk acid helps to maintain this cake extremely soft, making it a wet recipe for chocolate cake. This best chocolate cake is the best choice for a birthday party or a date. Honor it with a chill glass of milk or coffee!
- 2 cups sugar (400 grams)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (210 grams)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (64 grams)
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Flour Black Cocoa, optional (11 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (12 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4 grams)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (6 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- 1 cup strong black coffee (I used Green Mountain Coffee’s Vermont Country Blend) (240 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (120 mL)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (4 grams)
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Set the oven temperature to 350°F. Oil and flour two 9-inch round preparing container or one 13x9x2-inch heating skillet. Put in a safe spot. In the bowl of a stand blender fitted with the whisk connection or in a huge bowl with an electric blender, consolidate the sugar, flour, cocoa(s), baking soda, baking powder and salt. Blend on low until all ingredients are mixed properly.
Mix eggs, buttermilk, espresso, oil and vanilla together. Beat on medium speed for around two minutes; the mixture will be thin.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
Bake in a pre-heated oven in round pans for 30-35 minutes, in rectangular pans for 35-40 minutes.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Frost according to your will. Savory Sweet Life’s easy and sweet Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is used. For this chocolate layer cake, one batch was ideal.