Residing in Sub-Saharan Africa’s forests, brush and bare woods, the lion is the second biggest cat in the globe. The lion has forever been a symbol of strength, power and ferocity. The lion is a sign of confidence, endurance and fierceness forever. It’s quite evident that lions are intriguing animals, and by digging at 15 truths about them, we get to understand them a little closer.
1.When there is alot of meat accessible, lions will dive themselves into a food coma and on days like this an average masculine lion will consume about 15 percent of their body mass!
2. African lions are the most civil of all large cats and reside in gangs or “prides” around each other. A pride is made up of around 15 lions.
3. Lions live in the woods for about 10-14 years and in prison they live as long as 20-25 years of age.
4. As far as eyes are concerned, lion cubs are raised with blue pupils that shift to amber or brown when they are about two to three months old.
5. Male lions are defending the land of pride while women are doing most of the hunting. The men, though, feed first.
6. The roar of an older male can be sensed up to a distance of 8 km (5 miles).
7. On average a lion may sleeps up to 20 hours per day.
8. A female lion requires five kilograms of meat a day. A male lion requires seven kilograms or more a day.
9. Habitat deterioration threatens these magnificent animals. The lion is mentioned on the Red List of Threatened Species of IUCN as endangered.
10. Thanks to their unique manes, male tigers are easily recognizable. It is more probable that males with darker manes attract woman lions (lionesses).